external raid arrays

Chris Black cblack at EraGen.com
Thu Feb 21 12:43:51 PST 2002

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:53:43AM -0600, Chris Black wrote:
> We are looking for an external RAID solution that will provide at LEAST
> 100MB/s read bandwidth, probably under RAID 10 (0+1). So far I have been

This is a follow-up with more information that people asked for. Almost
all the I/O will be single process importing, exporting and doing
other operations on a MySQL database. The size we would like is around
.5TB. We currently use 3ware cards with 8 IDE disks using raid 0+1 and
get GREAT performance, but we are now looking for an external solution
with comparable bandwidth. Most companies either don't mention bandwidth
speeds at all, or just quote the maximum for the channel (e.g., 160MB/s
for Ultra160/Ultra3). The program we have been using to do benchmarks
is bonnie++.

Chris