High Speed Beowulf Cluster using gigabit ethernet

W Bauske wsb at paralleldata.com
Tue Feb 19 01:32:55 PST 2002

Velocet wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 12:31:43AM -0600, W Bauske's all...

> > > The $36 addtron cards that a few places have on pricewatch are 32bit cards.  I
> > > also see Ark GA-2500T and D-Link DGE-500T cards for $44-50 from a few places.
> > > The cheapest 64-bit cards seem to be some more Addtron ones starting at $67.
> > >
> > > Addtron claims their 320T and 620T (64bit) cards work with Linux.  I don't
> > > know what the ark and dlink cards' status is.  The quality of the driver (
> > > stability, hardware TCP/IP checksum, jumbo frames, etc.) and any motherboards
> > > incompatibilities are also a big question.
>
> The addtron site has a module there for download. Its precompiled for
> 2.4.2 (or so it would seem based on the makefile), and some instructions
> for getting it working. A few nice features such as Transmit and Receive
> queue sizing, as well as info for 'jumbo frames' up to 4000 bytes. However,
> thats if you get it working. Anyone using this? Anyone tried to compile the
> module? (I got a few compilation errors relating to asm header files in the
> linux kernel...)

Make sure your switch handles jumbo frames too. My "cheap" switches don't.
I use the driver supplied with RH7.2. Works except for the lack of stats
with ifconfig. Minor annoyance but not crucial.

> > The cards I bought for $36 claim to be 64bit and the pic shows a
> > 64bit card. When they arrive, I'll know for sure. Also, What I've
> > found to be compatability issues has been the 64bit cards in 64bit
> > 33Mhz slots. Haven't sorted it out. I know some of the 64bit cards I've
> > tried do work in a 32bit slot. No systematic testing though. I suspect
> > the driver is assuming a 66Mhz 64bit bus and messes up the card timing
> > but have no proof. The card just does nothing. Doesn't hang the system
> > though so it's not real painful to mess with.
>
> get these yet? success?

Got them but no longer have Athlon's handy for a 64bit slot. I plan
on trying them 32bit soon in some P4's that only have 32bit slots.

The 4 port switches work fine. Got about 114MB/sec. from them (MB=1024**2)
using some ARK Soho 32bit cards in P4's with two test streams. Each stream
was about 57MB/sec. I do have a Severworks dual PIII laying around. I could
put it in a chassis and see what it thinks of the card.

Wes