Dramatic slowdown for -np 2

Jared Hodge jared_hodge at iat.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 12 07:28:01 PST 2002

You know your code a lot better than we possibly could, but it isn't
uncommon for there to be a drop in performance for 2 nodes (although
your case does seem extreme).  When you go to 2 nodes you have to pay
all the cost of parallelization, with the minimal benefits.  Not only do
none of the communications have to be executed in serial, but the
algorithm may actually be different (did you write the code or did
someone else?).  For instance, in a problem I was discussing with a
professor last week, the parallel version requires 3 times as much work
(to make it parallelizeable) so doing it on 2 processors would see a
performance hit, but it's worth it to do it on 100.  Even if you wrote
the code, it's possible that libraries that you may use (like Scalapack)
have separate parallel and serial versions.
In your case, I doubt this is the entire problem, since your
experiencing such a dramatic slowdown, but it could be part of it.  What
is the speedup for 3 nodes (If it's less than 1.5 this is probably the
entire problem)?  Best of luck finding the problem.