What happens with a failed node? (Scyld)

Tony Stocker akostocker at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:37:58 PST 2002

Sean,

Okay, if there's no mail sent and the slave node keeps rebooting itself (for
instance if its network connection is down) or if the slave node never comes
back up (it died).  What happens to the process that was running on it?
Does the host node reassign it to another slave node after some period of
time?  What becomes of this "lost" process?  If there's no information
provided to a user that their process was lost when the node went down, and
the host node never reassigns it to be completed then it's conceivable that
an entire string of processing could be brought to a halt because of this
silent failure.  Since the host node maintains the master process list, it
should be aware that a process was running on a node that it now lists as
down.  What happens to the representation of this process in the table?

Thanks for the help,

-Tony