Advice on Cluster Hardware.

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Feb 5 15:23:57 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Velocet wrote:
> I've noticed however, with the ASUS A7V board (single socket A) that it
> doesnt support bridged PCI cards properly. We had no end of trouble with
> a DEC 4 port card in that board - replaced the board and not a problem.
>
> I've also heard that bridged PCI cards have trouble with SMP boards -
> anyone got info on that?

I've got a tyan tiger MP with two cpus and a dual-channel intel fast ethernet
card that uses a pci bridge.  Seems to work fine.

I do get intermitent timeouts for large NFS transfers (over the dual channel
card), but I understand this is due to a 2.4 VM flaw.  I just had to up
the NFS retransmit counter to 10 and they don't cause a problem.