High Speed Beowulf Cluster using gigabit ethernet

Velocet math at velocet.ca
Mon Feb 4 20:26:51 PST 2002

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 07:00:02PM -0500, Slick .'s all...
> > Well, I just bought GbE cards for $36 each, and a couple 4 port GbE switches
> > for $130 each. Per port cost is $69. Get creative on how to connect things
> > to get the bandwidth you want. As long as you stay below 20 nodes or so
> > it shouldn't be too bad. Latency is still an issue though. 8 port GbE
> > switches go for $600 or so at the moment so less cost effective but less
> > switches needed if that will help the layout/performance.
>
> $36 GbE NIC's in the US ? The lowest i heard of was Intel's GbE NIC's for $69.
>
> Would you mind sending me the links to the site you brought it from ?

$34.50 USD for ADDTRON GBE based on the NS83820 (or is that 82830?)
chipset.

not sure if its a 32 or 64 bit card though.

pricewatch.com. click NETWORKING at the bottom, then go for GBE.

(havent checked the Intel GBEs in a while - wasnt aware they were so cheap
now. V.nice.)

you get what you pay for and the equipment doesnt install, repair, RMA,
test, etc itself. So just beware.

/kc

Ken Chase, math at velocet.ca  *  Velocet Communications Inc.  *  Toronto, CANADA