low-latency high-bandwidth OS bypass user-level messaging for commodity(linux) clusters with commodityNICs(<$200), HELP! (GAMMA/EMP/M-VIA/etc.)

Douglas Eadline deadline at plogic.com
Wed Dec 18 14:30:34 PST 2002

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Markus Fischer wrote:

> unfortunately the web site does not mention whether
> it was streaming or round trip measurements.

good point, fixed that on the page, for your reference:

We used

NPtcp -t -h receive_node -o netpipe.data -O

on the sender and

NPtcp -r on the receiver."

Doug

> One can assume the streaming (-s) option, though.
> The latency is pretty good. Typically only achieved
> when running in direct mode over GigEth without
> the stack.
>
> Jeff Layton wrote:
>
> >>A good example is easy to find: the Intel GigE NIC series has added
> >>about a half dozen new PCI IDs in the past year.  Not just revision
> >>numbers, which we don't track, but the major ID number.  Some of those
> >>new versions appear to have significant changes in the feature set and
> >>in the way they handle small packets to reduce latency.
> >>

> >I'm not sure what NICS these are, but I just found some good
> >numbers for GigE NICs:
> >
> >http://www.plogic.com/ll-gige.html
> >
> >They look pretty darn good!
> >

> >Jeff
> >

> >>That's a life cycle of about three months, which is shorter than the
> >>time to decide a device driver is stable.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Donald Becker                           becker at scyld.com
> >>Scyld Computing Corporation            http://www.scyld.com
> >>410 Severn Ave. Suite 210               Scyld Beowulf cluster system
> >>Annapolis MD 21403                      410-990-9993

> >--
> >
> >Jeff Layton
> >Senior Engineer
> >Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Company - Marietta
> >Aerodynamics & CFD
> >
> >"Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins
> >
> >This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
> >email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform me of the mistake by
> >return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
> >email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
> >this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the
> >Lockheed-Martin Corporation.

Paralogic, Inc.           |     PEAK     |      Voice:+610.814.2800
130 Webster Street        |   PARALLEL   |        Fax:+610.814.5844
Bethlehem, PA 18015 USA   |  PERFORMANCE |    http://www.plogic.com