low-latency high-bandwidth OS bypass user-level messaging for commodity(linux) clusters with commodityNICs(<$200), HELP! (GAMMA/EMP/M-VIA/etc.)

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Wed Dec 18 03:14:44 PST 2002

> A good example is easy to find: the Intel GigE NIC series has added
> about a half dozen new PCI IDs in the past year.  Not just revision
> numbers, which we don't track, but the major ID number.  Some of those
> new versions appear to have significant changes in the feature set and
> in the way they handle small packets to reduce latency.

I'm not sure what NICS these are, but I just found some good
numbers for GigE NICs:

http://www.plogic.com/ll-gige.html

They look pretty darn good!

Jeff

> That's a life cycle of about three months, which is shorter than the
> time to decide a device driver is stable.
>
> --
> Donald Becker                           becker at scyld.com
> Scyld Computing Corporation            http://www.scyld.com
> 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210               Scyld Beowulf cluster system
> Annapolis MD 21403                      410-990-9993

Jeff Layton
Senior Engineer
Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Company - Marietta
Aerodynamics & CFD

"Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform me of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the
Lockheed-Martin Corporation.