low-latency high-bandwidth OS bypass user-level messaging for commodity(linux) clusters with commodity NICs(<$200), HELP! (GAMMA/EMP/M-VIA/etc.)

jon jcmcknny at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 16 22:12:30 PST 2002

[jon] I see.

> > We (UIUC theoretical astrophysics group) are in the midst of
purchasing
> > a $50K cluster (I know, small, but big for us! :)) and I'm done all
the
> > research as to what we should be getting.  We ended up going with a
> > Intel Desktop gigabit board and P4, but have found the tests to be
very
> > poor.  We only have 4 nodes right now because we worried about this
very
> > thing.
>
> Latency or bandwidth?  And what are you using to test?

[jon] We need (projected 0 message size) latencies to be about 30-40us
for our applications.  We end up with message sizes ranging from
256bytes to 8KB for different applications.  A 2.4Ghz P4 cluster has an
idling CPU due to the latency.

> While there are better Gigabit chips than the DP83820, most of its bad
> reputation comes from the poor performance of the other drivers out
> there.  We get quite reasonable performance from it with the Scyld
> ns820.c driver.  Others have reported a 2.5-3X performance improvement
> over the driver written by Red Hat.

[jon] I see, what kinda of 0message latency and peak bandwidth do you
get on 64-bit 66Mhz bus?

[jon] Thanks! -Jon