IEEE 1394

Eray Ozkural eozk at bicom-inc.com
Wed Dec 4 23:20:34 PST 2002

A while ago I had asked whether there were any existing clusters using
firewire IIRC. I had also found a similar query on this list, asked some time
before me, but I don't have the link right now.

I had even developed a design, unfortunately no professors had shown interest
in it at Bilkent. There are interface cards containing 3 firewire ports with
aforementioned bandwidth/latency characteristics which makes them excellent
point-to-point connection devices. With a suitably high performance kernel
router, this would make the construction of high performance static-network
distributed memory machines an ordinary feat.

Each node would have 2 of those interface cards, totaling to 6 firewire ports.
64 nodes can be connected in hybercube topology resulting in a high
performance supercomputer.

If anybody wants me to come and help build it, just send me a job offer :)

Thanks,

--
Eray Ozkural <eozk at bicom-inc.com>
Software Engineer, BICOM Inc.