Noise abatement for a rack

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Wed Dec 4 11:57:28 PST 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 13:08, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:34:53AM -0800, David Mathog wrote:
>
> > Anybody here ever try noise insulating a rack???
>
> You should thank your lucky stars that they're 2U cases, as 1U fans
> are significantly louder than 2U fans.

And just not louder, the 1U fans are much more of a whine than the
bigger 2U fans. I had an SGI Origin 200 (big 4U rackmount) and an SGI
1100 (1U) in my home office and it was the 1100 that drove me nuts. But
it was a "type 1" problem, meaning that I would just turn up the stereo
sufficiently and the problem went away. ;-)

	-Dean