Performance Benchmarks

Rocky McGaugh rocky at atipa.com
Fri Aug 30 12:01:07 PDT 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Tom A Krewson wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good objective benchmark for Linux clusters running
> MPI? I have tried Linpack but failed to get the results I need. It seems
> to need tuning for each cluster which is makes it hard to be objective
> with reguards to its results. I also have used llcbench and have gotten
> some nifty graphs but nothing to compare what I have in my cluster
> objectively to other clusters.
>
> How can I tell how well I am building the cluster if I don't have
> comparative benchmarks to go by?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

HPL, as someone else mentioned is nice. Total flops are nice, but
Rmax/Rpeak is something i always look at, to see what percentage of the
potential we're actually getting...

Pallas PMB - http://www.pallas.com/e/products/pmb/index.htm
To be honest, i've never really used this as a 'benchmark', but include it
in tests to validate a clusters operation.

Gromacs - http://www.gromacs.com/
Not something i use, but does provide some numbers for comparison.

Your best test, is going to be the application that you plan to use on the
cluster...

--
Rocky McGaugh
Atipa Technologies
rocky at atipatechnologies.com
rmcgaugh at atipa.com
1-785-841-9513 x3110
http://1087800222/
perl -e 'print unpack(u, ".=W=W+F%T:7\!A+F-O;0H`");'