Channel bonding GbE (Tigon3)

David S. Miller davem at redhat.com
Wed Aug 28 01:15:09 PDT 2002

   From: Steffen Persvold <sp at scali.com>
   Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:06:19 +0200 (CEST)

   > I have an idea that this happens because the packets are comming out of
   > order into the receiving node (i.e the bonding device is alternating
   > between each interface when sending, and when the receiving node gets the
   > packets it is possible that the first interface get packets number 0, 2,
   > 4 and 6 in one interrupt and queues it to the network stack before packet
   > 1, 3, 5 is handled on the other interface).

That is exactly what is happening.  Packets are being reordered.

Welcome to one of the flaws of round-robin trunking. :-)

   > If this is the case, any ideas how to fix this...

Don't use round-robin, choose the output device based upon
hashing of some bits in the IP/TCP headers :-)

You won't get 2Gb/sec for a single TCP stream, but you will
for 2 or more.