Beowulf digest, Vol 1 #841 - 9 msgs

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Wed Apr 24 07:26:51 PDT 2002

With regards to your message at 07:57 AM 4/24/02,
beowulf-request at beowulf.org. Where you stated:

>Message: 5
>Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:18:46 +0100
>From: javier.iglesias at freesurf.ch
>To: beowulf at beowulf.org
>Subject: Suggestions on fiber Gigabit NICs
>
>Hi all,
>
>To cope with some network bottleneck problems leading to calculation
>crashes, we envisage to migrate our 18-nodes' (bi-AMD 1600+/Tyan Tiger
>MP/FastEthernet/Scyld 27-b8) master to Gigabit.
>
>I would like to get your feelings/experiences on two fiber Gigabit
>NICs :
You probably should consider the SysKonnect and Intel offerings too..

Also, if in a cluster that all machines are close together why fibre?
Copper is a lot less expensive.

Also why Scyld?
More modern bproc and other parts are available as downloadable GPL materials..

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3

Ask me about the UP1500 Alpha - Full systems from $3,500!