What could be the performance of my cluster

Suraj Peri suraj_peri at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 13 03:21:52 PDT 2002

 BLAST ( Basic Local Alignment Search tool) takes the
query ( either protein or DNA) sequence and try to
match the small pathces ( lets say it breaks your
sequence in to small pieces of 6 letters and then try
to match them in a the database index file) .
Once BLAST algo. finds any small match it tries to
extend your query sequence for further match in the
database. If it finds more then it makes a score and
represent that score. If it doesnt then it represents
low score and based on low scores we do not consider
lower score hits.
Thus, in my opinion it does many claculations and
finally show the scores. ( P-value)

Interestingly , BLAST is considered a local alignment
search tool because it tries to match bits of your
query sequence and then extends for more matches.
in contrast there is another algorithm called FASTA (
Fast alignment search tool ) this is a global ( means
it takes big chunks of sequences and then tries to
thread them over database).
So Bill Pearson (creator) made a PVM version of FASTA
and his students at virginia are using it on a beowulf
cluster.
( You can access that at
ftp://ftp.virginia.edu/pub/fasta/)

In my case my database would be ~80 GB. ( i hope to
use this much data over NFS)

I am planning to introduce this algorithm in every
node and then using MPICH I would like to ask my node
to access the whole database using NFS.
I am new to this area, but I wonder the ideas I am
having are practical or not. We will start configuring
our cluster some time in May.

cheers
suraj.

=====