very high bandwidth, low latency manner?

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Fri Apr 12 08:17:08 PDT 2002

Steffen Persvold wrote:

> True, but if one of your Myrinet switches breaks down you loose 64 nodes
> in a 256 node system (standard "CLOS" configuration). I don't know the
> MBTF for Myrinet switches, but I would expect it to be rather high
> (redundant power supplies ?).

The calculated MTBF of the switches is +50 years. Actually, if all 6
fans go off, it will still work, then the switch will drop more and more
packets, then the uC will shutdown the blades one by one if they reach
the  critical temperature limit.
If there is a failure on a blade itself, it will affect only 8 ports.
If there is a failure in a crossbar on the backplane, the mapper will
use a redondant route (as many redondant routes as crossbars, so a
failure in each 8 crossbars on the backplane is required to loose all
ports).

Chuck made a very nice talk at Cluster2001 about Clos topology. It
presents thing very clearly, I like it a lot:
http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/cluster2001/program/talks/seitz.pdf

Regards.

Patrick