CPU Choices

Nick Gregory eennmg at electeng.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 04:30:04 PDT 2001

Hello,
I am doing some research into the configuration of a 32 1U node Beowulf cluster
and have a question regarding CPU configuration.

The current choice is between Intel P4s as Itaniums seem a little bleeding edge at
the moment, or the latest AMD chips.

AMD seem to be getting a impressive performance for the price, but I’m a little
concerned about the lack of mature multiprocessor chipsets and their heat issues.

Intel on the other-hand have the MP chipsets but seem to be falling down with
current lack of (non-commercial ) complier that support MMX and SSE, and the
whole issue of Rambus Vs DDR memory.

I would be grateful for any insight into a choice of CPU and its configuration in
terms of price/performance/expandability, or any other factor I should be
considering.

Thanks
Nick

   (_      '-------======~~~          =' EENNMG at ELECTENG.LEEDS.AC.UK