ALINKA Linux Clustering Letter, September 5th. 2001 (fwd)
Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Sep 7 09:37:34 PDT 2001
I think Antoine makes a so fine job out of his summaries, he should just
post them to Beowulf, which does not see much traffic these days, anyway.
Unless you people have objections?
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 18:33:01 +0200
From: Antoine Brenner <abrenner at alinka.com>
To: clustering at alinka.com
Subject: ALINKA Linux Clustering Letter, September 5th. 2001
Resent-Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 18:33:05 +0200 (CEST)
Resent-From: clustering at alinka.com
The ALINKA Linux Clustering Letter,
Wednesday, September the 5th. 2001
Dear readers, I am happy to send you this week's edition of
clustering at alinka.com
clustering at alinka.com is a free weekly e-mail newsletter on linux
clustering. It provides a summary of the weekly activity in
mailing-lists relative to linux clustering (such as beowulf,
linux virtual server or linux-ha) and general clustering news.
For more information about ALINKA, see: http://www.alinka.com
News from the High Performance world, by Dr Laurent Gatineau
(lgatineau at alinka.com)
Tips and tricks from the Beowulf mailing list
* About switches, Martin Wheeler [m1] is looking for cheap switches,
Chris Black [m2] recommanded D-link switches, and Dan Philpott [m3]
Sakthivel Narayanan [m4] is wondering if he could upgrade its
cluster with Intel EtherExpress 510T switche, Jakob Østergaard [m5]
gives its experience explaining bandwidth problems; Anthony Tam [m6]
suggests Cisco switches for good bandwidth on medium cluster.
Dean Carpenter [m7] posted a link  to a web which help user
create their own FNN (Flat Neighborhood Network) designs.
* Rajkumar Buyya [m1] posted a link  to the online material of the
NSF/TFCC Workshop on Teaching Cluster Computing.
News from MOSIX mailing list by Benoit des Ligneris
<bligneri at physique.usherb.ca>
* Linux Terminal Server Project AND Mosix by Wiliam Danau [m1] 
* Howto install SlackWare 8.0 and mosix by Thomas A Web [m1] 
* Release of Mosix 1.3.0 for kernel 2.4.9 is avalaible [m1].
You can download it  or view the changelog .
* Release of Mosixview 0.9 
News from the High Availability world
DRBD devel by Guillaume GIMENEZ (ggimenez at alinka.com)
* David Krovich posted [m1] a link to the docbook  version of
the drbd howto 
* Philipp Reisner explained [m3] to Paul Botelho [m2] how to
bypass a transfer log size issue.
Linux-HA by Rached Ben Mustapha (rached at alinka.com)
* Alan Cox replied [m1] to a post [m2] announcing GFS license change,
that the OpenGFS project has been launched, and that an action has
been taken because GFS is blatantly violating the GPL license, which
protects the linux kernel.
LVS by Rached Ben Mustapha (rached at alinka.com)
* Matthew S. Crocker asked [m1] if LVS was receiving connections after
any ipchains/iptables rules, in order to block a class C adress range.
Julian Anastasov replied [m2] that LVS receives connections after the
News on the Filesystems front
reiserfs by Guillaume Gimenez (ggimenez at alinka.com)
* Harmon Seaver asks [m4] if anyone is using encrypted file
system with ReiserFS. (the thread )
* Vladimir V. Saveliev posted [m5] a link to patch  that
fixes a large files issue (>2GB). (the thread )
GFS by Ludovic Ishiomin (lishiomin at alinka.com)
* There was a lot of discussion about the new licensing scheme of GFS. Here is
the explanations of Sistina and the reaction [1m].
Please also see our Linux-HA section above.
* The GFS code has forked . Some people thought the relicensing of GFS
violates the GPL (since some external people from Sistina contributed to the
code with patches). They spent their time on retrieve the last available code
from Sistina (based on GFS 4.1.1 plus some glitches) [2m].
and the followings.
[2m] http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/15276/0/6542974/ and the
Intermezzo by Ludovic Ishiomin (lishiomin at alinka.com)
* Peter Braam announced Intermezzo 18.104.22.168 [1m]
JFS by Ludovic Ishiomin (lishiomin at alinka.com)
* Steve Best announced JFS 1.0.4 [m1]
News on other cluster related topics
LVM by Bruno Muller (bmuller at alinka.com)
* AJ Lewis announced LVM 1.0.1-rc2 available at www.sistina.com[m1].
To subscribe to the list, send e-mail to clustering at alinka.com from the
address you wish to subscribe, with the word "subscribe" in the subject.
To unsubscribe from the list, send e-mail to clustering at alinka.com from
the address you wish to unsubscribe from, with the word "unsubscribe" in
Alinka is the editor of the ALINKA ORANGES and ALINKA RAISIN
administration software for Linux clusters.
(Web site: http://www.alinka.com )
More information about the Beowulf