bwbug: Baltimore-Washington Beowulf Users Group

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Thu May 31 10:58:33 PDT 2001

I'm forwarding this message on behalf of David Rhoades,
drhoades at conservativecomputer.com.

Well, after a brief hiatus we're hoping to restart the local Beowulf User
Group.  I think we owe a big thank-you to Howard Levinson and others at VA
for doing such a great job in the past.

To date, we have been promised the corporate support of Logicon,
Compaq, Scyld and SteelEye in providing meeting places and speakers.
Of course, those are just the ones we've had contact with so far, and
I'm sure others will also support the group.

A couple of items need your inputs:

The first is meeting times and places.  Some folks can't make it
during the afternoons, some can't make it in the evenings.  Which
group are you in?  It seems like MD is where most of the meetings are
held.  How many of you don't go because of location? How many of you
couldn't go to Northern Virginia for a meeting?

The second is focus.  My thought is that the goal is to see the
Beowulf system mature and expand, but is that your interest?

The web site http://www.bwbug.org/, has been rehosted (thanks to Greg
and Greg) and we have a cute web form to join/leave the mailing list.
If you know someone who might be interested, please point them at the
site.  For those of you who would prefer to NOT get every list e-mail
singly, but bundled together is groups of 30 or so there is a
bwbug-digest list.

Some of you may not know me.  Greg Lindahl (whom most of you DO know)
and I were formerly at HPTi and I ran the business unit that delivered
the Alpha cluster to the Forecast Systems Laboratory in Boulder, CO.
We've since left HPTi and formed Conservative Computer to offer
commercial clusters.

Expect a meeting in June based on your inputs.

David Rhoades
Conservative Computer, Inc.
703-244-0579
drhoades at conservativecomputer.com