custom cluster cabinets (was Re: 1U P4 Systems)

Steve Gaudet sgaudet at angstrommicro.com
Wed May 23 14:41:18 PDT 2001

Hello All,

> If the entire top of the case was a heatsink many
> other variable come to mind....what happens when you
> stack or rack??? how thick will the lid be?  How would
> you get air across the lid in a racked configuration.
>
> Let's think about this??? why does it have to be
> 1U??...think a little bit outside the box...if the
> unit could be any shape would it be thin and narrow
> creating a terrible aspect ratio for air
> movement...NO.
>
> Take a look at the ingenious approach of this product:
>
> http://www.crystalpc.com/products/computers/cs300.asp
>
> The cooling and space advantages are easy to see.

It's ok, but many points of failure. Look into Compaq PCI(cPCI). Intel bought a
company called Ziatech and released their products under the name of Ketris.

http://www.ziatech.com/ketris/main.htm

They were to start shipping a 9U with 16 single board computers with 800Mhz low
power processors and gigabit ethernet.  However, they are updating the design
and delayed shipping until 4th quarter of this year.

The good news is this product will have dual processors when released in Q4.
Whats even better is no switch needed for interconnect, much easier management
tools, and multiple operating systems able to run on different blades,
stripping of blades, replacement of defective blades, or adding new blades when
the system is still online and running.

Moreover, because its running on Intel's laptop processors it draws less power,
easier to cool.  Therefore, less cost of ownership. On the other spectrum look
at Alpha's.  We sold a 64 node dual 750/8Mhz cluster the customer needed a 5
ton air conditioner to cool it and the 618w power supplies draw quite a bit of
electricity.

We ran the Ketris box in inhouse, great technology, check it out.

Cheers,

Steve Gaudet
<(©¿©)>
Angstrom Microsystems