64bit/66MHz PCI mobos (Intel STL2, Asus CUR-DLS)

Steffen Persvold sp at scali.no
Wed May 23 06:13:33 PDT 2001

Chris Black wrote:

> We have been looking into motherboards that provide 64-bit 66MHz
> PCI slots and haven't had much luck. We are now evaluating the
> Intel Server Board STL2, but have had some problems with it in
> terms of getting the IDE to work correctly with UltraDMA support.
> Can anyone share any experience with these boards in terms of
> problems and what needs to be done to get them to work? It seems
> they are a bit finicky in respect to the type of memory they want
> as well.
>
> Has anyone found any motherboards that can reliably do 66MHz/64bit
> PCI bus transfers? We are trying to maximize the performance of
> our gigabit cards which do support 66MHz/64bit operation. We looked
> at the ASUS CUR-DLS but it appears that although it has 64bit pci
> slots, these run at 33MHz.

The SuperMicro (http://www.supermicro.com) 370DE{6,R} cards are actually
quite nice. They both have onboard SCSI-3.

The SuperMicro 370DL{3,E,R} are a cheaper variant (LE chipset) and the
370DLE is without SCSI.

I haven't checked too much, but I believe all of these boards are
cheaper than both the Intel and the ASUS boards.

Regards,
--
  Steffen Persvold               Systems Engineer
  Email : mailto:sp at scali.no     Scali AS (http://www.scali.com)