Use of slave node disc using Scyld

Sean Dilda agrajag at scyld.com
Tue May 22 12:13:17 PDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Art Edwards wrote:

> I would lilke to use the local, slave-node disk space to write scratch
> files using Scyld. So far I have been unsuccessful. When I execute
> df -k on all nodes, they see the /home space on the head node and the
> root space on the slave. In the simplest MPI job, I cannot open a file on the
> slaves. Any insights?

By default, a the slave nodes in a Scyld cluster use a ram disk as / and
nfs mount /home from the master node.  If you want to use harddrives
that are on the slave nodes, then the Installation Guide
(http://www.scyld.com/support/docs/beoinstall.html) contains details on
partitioning those harddrives as well as setting up an fstab to use
them.

Note that when you do this, a minimal filesystem will be created on the
slave nodes, but it may not contain most files you are expecting (such
as /etc/passwd).   Also, anything you try to write into /home will
actually be written on /home of the master node.   However, /tmp will
still be there on the slave nodes and is a good place to store temproary
files that only need to be accessed by that slave node.