1U P4 Systems

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Mon May 21 18:39:42 PDT 2001

hi bari...

you're right that it;d be better to design ones own
motherboard/powersupply/1u chassis....

problem is i think most people dont have the time or
the enginnering staff to do so... and that itd be
cheaper to buy off the shelf parts...
	( or so goes the theory/assumption

most 1U chassis designs and atx motherboards fail miserably on
dual power supply issues and hot swapp issues...
	- basically not fixable...

adding an extra extrusion to the 1U box would make it
into an equivalent 2U server... and those generic 2U chassis are cheaper
than starting with a 1U ... so there'd be no point to creating
the extrusions/extensions for the 1U to solve the
cpu heatsink problem..

the crusoe cpu is a low wattage device to begin with so
having 24 of um in the space of 3u chassis is a good idea...

the motherboard schematics etc is freely available to those that
want to build a crusoe based systems

when the proper fans and chassis designed is used.. i dont see any
problems with cooling the intel cpu....

have fun
alvin