Cooling experts out there, some help please

alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com
Mon May 21 16:50:15 PDT 2001

hi joel, dan

we use Indek fans...cause its supposedly better in terms
of reliability... we happen to use the noisier ones
cause its cheaper... dont know exact db levels, as its
a moot point,.... noisy fans that are more reliable are
better than cheap fans that is very likely to die ??

measuring temperature with a thermal junction is very
accurate reading for that junction/area... howerver
when reading the "cpu temperature" over 0.25" die...
the real die temperature will vary widely...

the hot heatsink can distibute the heat evenly across
the die...but....

insidea 1U case...you can only use 40mm tall fans
though some manufacturers use a 60mm fan that is tilted at
45degrees... the blades in a 60mm fan can push more air...

we replaced the 1.5" or 2" tall intel p3 heatsinks with
a 0.25" (total height) heatsink/fan combo that works really well
in our 1U case.... we've not attempted similar issues for
AMD cpus, as there is no "metal clip" that works for
the any heatsink/fan that will fit inside the 1U...
that allows for 0.5" - 1" of air space above the fans

we have 3 cpu side fans that blows air across the cpu heatsink
in addition to the normal 0.25" heatsink/fan that sits
ontop of the cpu/die
	- if one fan dies... we should still be okay...

have fun
alvin
http://www.Linux-1U.net ... just gotta keep the air flowing..out...