SCYLD-- mounting boot.img in loopback

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Fri May 11 12:08:43 PDT 2001

> Has anyone been able to sucessfully mount the /var/beowulf/boot.img using
> loopback? What kind of filesystem are they using?

boot.img is not a filesystem image. It is a special format used by monte
that contains a kernel, initrd, and command line arguments for the phase 2
kernel.

If you want to generate custom boot images, I suggest you use:

`beoboot -2 -i -o /tmp/foo`

which will generate separate kernel,initrd images to
/tmp/foo,/tmp/foo.initrd. You may then play with these to your hearts
content. This is what, for instance, you would do if you wanted images for
use with PXE.

If you merely want to alter the contents of the boot.img without needing
split images, I suggest that you investigate the options to the 'beoboot'
tool provided with Scyld. This may provide you with what you seek.

Regards,
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation