FYI: Current SPECfp landscape...

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Thu May 10 10:53:30 PDT 2001

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 01:11:39PM -0400, Josip Loncaric wrote:

> Per GHz, the F77 P4 "win" factors are 1.25-1.59, while the F90 P4
> "loss" factor is 1.38.

What's the point of per GHz comparison? The P4 and the Athlon aren't
available at the same GHz, and the wide memory system of the P4 is a
large part of its advantage.

> We'd like to test our own code compiled with our own compilers.  The
> overall 2:1 performance uncertainty is too large to ignore.

Since both Intel and PGI make their compilers temporarily available
for free -- beta-test until September for Intel, trial version from
PGI -- you might as well test with the best compilers, instead of the
ones you happen to own.

-- g