VA - System Imager

JParker at coinstar.com JParker at coinstar.com
Thu May 10 09:02:15 PDT 2001

G'Day !

I am having problems with VA-SystemImager (ver 1.4.0).   It seems that I
can not get my remote machine to retrieve the kernel and reboot as per
step 6 and 7 of the HOWTO.

I do not have a floppy or cdrom attached to the machine, so I am using the
rsync/updateclient -autoinstall method.

The problem is that when I try to run "updateclient -autoinstall -server
bhead -c eth0" it crashes because it can not find the modules
Getopt::Long, etc.  A quick search of the hard drive on the local node
confirms it is not a part of the standard Perl-5.005 debian package, but
it is located on my head server bhead.

I believe the cause of my confusion may be the documentation.  As I read
step 6, where you prepare the boot media, the example on how to prepare a
remote machine's local hd is exactly the same as the instructions for step
7, where the actually transfer of the image takes place.

Do you need to "compile" the perl script on the headnode prior to
transfering to the remote machine ?  If so what is the command to do this
?

BTW, all my remote nodes have a base Debian install with basic networking
installed.

Another question.  During the step 5, I did not have systemImager write to
the /etc/hosts file.  All my nodes already have the correct network
settings.  Is this a problem ?

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more
important than that !!!