linpack

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Tue May 8 23:55:57 PDT 2001

Joey Raheb wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has had any expierence with the LINPack Benchmark.
> I am having a great deal of difficulty getting this benchmark to go on a
> single CPU Alpha Workstation.  Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get it
> going.

The sequential Linpack is one of the easiest benchmark to run.
Look at http://www.netlib.org/benchmark/1000d

> The package tells me that I need mpi, however, if I am testing only a one CPU
> system would this be necessary?

You need MPI for the parallel Linpack benchmark, not for the sequential
one. If you want to play the "male game" and get big numbers, you need
to use the parallel Linpack. A very good implementation is HPL (High
Performance Linpack) also available on netlib.

> How do I go about doing the 'tuning' that they speak of in their
> documentation.  I downloaded their FAQ which helps a little, but I am new to
> this whole benchmark routine (at least this type of benchmarking).

No tuning for serial Linpack

> I would appreciate any information anyone can give me.
Hope it helps

--
Patrick Geoffray

|      Myricom Inc       |  University of Tennessee - CS Dept |
| 325 N Santa Anita Ave. |   Suite 203, 1122 Volunteer Blvd.  |
|   Arcadia, CA 91006    |      Knoxville, TN 37996-3450      |
|     (626) 821-5555     |      Tel/Fax : (865) 974-1950      |