Possbile uses of Beowulf ... ?

Enigma enigma at custard.org
Fri May 4 05:34:47 PDT 2001

the short answer is no, unless the app is designed to use a parallel
architecture it won't work, if it is code/modified to use PVM/MPI or some
other system then it *could* work, my original plan was for a fast quake 3
machine, then i did the research and found it wasn't possible, but i built
my cluster anyway, I have used my old 486s and in a mad evening i worked
out i would need roughly 100 of these to even come close to the raw
processing power of my t-bird (486dx 33s v.s. t-bird 1ghz), and then there
is the network lbottle neck
to add on, but i built my cluster anyways a s research for myself, but i
only useit to teach myself parallel programming techniques, it does
nothing usefull, 486's just can't crunch that hard :)

if you still want to go ahead it is a good learning experience (well i
think so, but then i'm sad geek anyways :P)

if you want more info or help with getting it running there are some
really helpfull people on the list and some good info around online
(redhat comes with PVM and MPI and scyld is a complete cluster software,
but won't install on small amounts of memory so i can't even try it)

hope this helps

Jez