Odd request

Timothy I Mattox tmattox at engr.uky.edu
Thu Mar 29 10:39:15 PST 2001

Q: "Spanning tree algorithm?"

I have found a good reference for ethernet is the O'Reilly book:
"Ethernet: The Definitive Guide" by Charles E. Spurgeon, 2000.

There is a standard method that ethernet switches use to detect
loops, and will shut down one of the links in the loop.
Essentially they form a tree by sending out special packets
amongst themselves.

I just did a google search on "spanning tree algorithm ethernet switch"
and found this from Cisco:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/sw_ntman/cwsimain/cwsi2/cwsiug2/vlan2/stpapp.htm
"Understanding Spanning-Tree Protocol"

And this article from Network World Fusion:
http://www.nwfusion.com/netresources/0524spanning.html
"Spanning tree is still with us"

--
Tim Mattox - tmattox at ieee.org - http://home.earthlink.net/~timattox