job migration

Jag agrajag at linuxpower.org
Thu Mar 8 16:17:48 PST 2001

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001, Daniel Ridge wrote:

> > Actually, I've written a script in Python that does just that for a
> > Scyld system, crude job migration.  It just rforks() to the remote node
> > then does an exec() of the binary on that node (after twiddling with
> > stdin/stdout some).  This assumes that the program you want to run is on
> > the remote node as well as any libraries it needs (I assumed the binary
> > was on an nfs share, and that the libraries were already cached on the
> > remote node).
>
> Why not just use fork()/bproc_execmove() ? You don't need then to have any
> of the binaries installed remotely. You can (if you're clever) even
> manage to get the dynamic link step to happen on the frontend.

I didn't do that because I need to be able to redirect
stdin/stdout/stderr.  BProc can't forward open file descriptors, so I
have to rfork, open the new files, use the dup2 magic to redirect stdin
and stdout, then exec() the process.  See my recent post on the bproc
list if you actually want to see some code for that.

> >  Of course to do this, you need BProc bindings for
> > whatever scripting language you're using.  So far I've seen bindings for
> > Perl and Python released.
>
> I'm actually looking for a responsible maintainer for the Perl bindings. I
> want basically nothing to do with Perl. :)

I don't blame you.  I'll just stick to my Python bindings :)

Jag