Power-managment of slave nodes

Greg Lindahl lindahl at conservativecomputer.com
Wed Mar 7 10:01:22 PST 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:53:45PM +0800, Kian_Chang_Low at vdgc.com.sg wrote:

> But I was wondering with a similar APC master switch, I can actually
> powered off (then on) a "dead" slave node when it is found to have hung.
> After recycling the power of that node, it can rejoin the cluster without
> any intervention from the user. Has anyone used it for such purpose, or is
> there another way of recycling a dead node with manual intervention? Or a
> cheaper way?

It's extremely rare that a node hangs -- it's more common that nodes
die due to hardware failures. So I've never had an automatic way of
recycling dead nodes. Instead, I view the APC as an administrator
convenience: a good way to reboot a node that you're testing with, a
fast way to power down the entire cluster when there's an AC failure,
etc.

-- g