Size of pipe from beowulf to world

Jared Hodge jared_hodge at iat.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 5 05:09:33 PST 2001

I would say the biggest choke point you have to worry about it from your
server to the nodes.  Assuming you'll launch all of your jobs from the
server (where you compiled them), it needs to have a pretty good link to
send the executables out to the nodes, update their information, and
collect the data.  As always, this depends on the applications you'll be
running, their communications overhead, and weather they're synchronous
or asynchronous (asynchronous don't all ask for information at the same
time usually).  A single 100bT connection to the world has been plenty
for us.  You just want to have a way for developers to log onto the
system and write their code their, or ftp file in, etc.

Good luck.