Questions and Sanity Check

Jim Phillips jim at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 2 07:59:30 PST 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Donald Becker wrote:

> The cached libraries on the slave nodes are 10-40MB uncompressed.
> That's on the order of 1 second of Fast Ethernet time to transfer the
> compressed version.  The boot time isn't a significant issue.

Of course, if you reboot 64 nodes at once and they all try to download
from the front end node at the same time, then five seconds to download
one node turns into five minutes to start up the entire cluster.

However, I agree that this isn't really significant.  People who really
care can put gigabit on the master node and cut that down to 30 seconds.

-Jim