A really cheap node

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jun 6 03:55:53 PDT 2001

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 alvin at Mail.Linux-Consulting.com wrote:

> > To get the $500 price:
> >
> > Click here and then click on the "customize it" option.
> > Under System Promotion pick "Option 1: $400 instant credit"

This also sounds suspiciously like the eternal Microsoft deal -- sign up
for 3 years of MSN and get a $400 instant rebate.  I've learned to just
ignore system prices in newspapers or on the placards in Best Buy
because they always "include $400 instant rebate for MSN".

Otherwise it looks to me like they are selling below cost, and as the
.com thing illustrated fairly clearly, you cannot sell a dollar for
eighty cents and accomplish anything but astoundingly high (but
meaningless) "traffic" in your store as folks come in to pick your
pockets.

I trust Intrex's deals because I buy on a component basis and I can
easily assess fair market value plus labor and compare prices and value.
I don't trust anything that appears too good to be true.

Tanstaafl,

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu