Root-NFS

d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au d.bussenschutt at mailbox.gu.edu.au
Fri Jun 1 07:10:46 PDT 2001

I've been having problems getting a raw kernel floppy disk to mount the
root FS over NFS (yes I've followed the NFS-Root HOWTO!), what I get is:
VFS: Root-NFS: NO NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
What's weird is that if I  use a boot loader , and specify all parameters
using nfsroot= ... and nfsaddrs=.... then it works (but I have to change
the settings for every client! - obviously)

I've checked the following:
I have rarp compiled in the kernel.
I have the client/s in the server rarp table.
I have the relevant /tftpboot/IP-address entries.
I have rdev'd the kernel from a node with numbers of 0 and 255.
I tried tcpdump on the servers "beowulf" interface, and recieve no arp or
rarp requests from the client (actually I recieve NOTHING!).
I'm using 3c905C-TX 10/100 NIC's, with the support compiled in the
kernel(in case that's relevant)
The kernel is monolithic.
It works when specified on the kernel cmd line, why not with RARP?  What's
the best way to test RARP?  Other suggestions?  What've  I missed?

David.

P.S. AAAaaaaaaaagh!.