Next Scyld Release

John Berninger John_Berninger at ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 20 08:18:32 PDT 2001

I just got an educational price quote from Scyld Computing Corp., and
although I'm hesitant to give actual dollar numbers, I can sat that the
education prices are very attractive.

        The base system, as on the web site, is $249.  It comes with the
installation CD and Installation Guide - no support, no other
documentation.  The prices for support are based on a per-processor
model, but from what I understand of the support structure, that
actually translates directly to a number of hours per year for the
system.  For example, on a 4-node cluster, at the full support price,
you get 30 minutes of support per processor, which equals two hours of
telephone support per year; I'm assuming you can use those two hours any
way you wish and don't have to use 30 minutes per individual processor.
The supported product also comes with a bound documentation set, which
is all the reason I need to order the full product.

        Again, I'm loathe to give actual numbers, but I will say that
the per-node cost of the full product at educational discounts was
very attractive.

        I would however like to see the option of buying only the
documentation set, without having to purchase actual support for a
cluster; if anyone at Scyld Computing Corp is on this list, please see
what can be done - I know NCSU would buy several copies of the
documentation if it were available as a separate item.

Thank you,
John Berninger

Systems Administrator		John_Berninger at ncsu.edu
Department of Mathematics	Box 8205, Harrelson Hall
NC State University		Raleigh, NC 27695
Phone:  (919)515-6315		Fax:	(919)515-3798

GPG Key ID: A8C1D45C
        Fingerprint: B1BB 90CB 5314 3113 CF22  66AE 822D 42A8 A8C1 D45C