Octave and PVM/MPI

Huntress Gary B NPRI HuntressGB at Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil
Wed Feb 28 08:23:18 PST 2001

An eon ago (in internet time) I participated in a similar discussion.  Here is a URL to the archive http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/1999-June/005483.html

At that time (1999) Octave was definitely not "MPI aware", I'm not even sure it would take advantage of SMP.

Hopefully some of the links to relevant projects are still around!

Regards,

Gary Huntress
Code 4113
Naval Undersea Warfare Center
Newport, RI  02841
1-800-669-6892 x28990

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-admin at beowulf.org [mailto:beowulf-admin at beowulf.org]On
Behalf Of Donald B. Kinghorn
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 1:07 PM
To: Georgia Southern Beowulf Cluster Project
Cc: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: Octave and PVM/MPI

Octave is a nice MatLab clone ... it does most of what I would use MatLab for.
I don't know what kind of info you want but you might start by contacting the author.
If somebody is doing a parallel implementation of octave I'd like to know about it too.
-Don
here's the info from freshmeat  http://freshmeat.net/projects/octave/

Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical computations. It provides a convenient command
line
  interface for solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically, and for performing other numerical
experiments. It may
  also be used as a batch-oriented language.

  Author:
  John W. Eaton
  Homepage:
  http://www.octave.org/