memory usage on Scyld slave nodes

Jag agrajag at linuxpower.org
Fri Feb 16 12:42:44 PST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Dan Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently installed Scyld Beowulf on our cluster.  It works fine, but when
> I use BeoStatus to look at the slaves it shows that the slaves all have
> about 400MB of their memory taken up.  Anyone know what is eating up the RAM
> on those slaves?  Each node has a total of 512MB of RAM.  Why is beowulf
> eating up so much of it?  Thanks.

The number that beostatus uses for the amount of memory used includes
the memory used by programs as well as the memory used by the kernel for
buffers and such.  This is the same as the program 'free'.  If you ever
run 'free' you'll ntoice that the amount of memory used seems kinda
high, this is because it takes into account kernel buffers and cache.

Jag