VP6 + 3c905 -- any working machines?

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Feb 16 04:52:01 PST 2001

Probably the best would have been vortex at scyld.com, but I'll answer here.

>     I have 2 VP6 machines with 3c905 ethernet card (3c905B in one,
>     3c905C in the other).  Each machine can ping itself, but not each
>     other.  I think packet is going out, since LED on ethernet switch
>     (5-port SmartLink) is blinking.

Can you check the inscription on your 3C905C card(s) (by opening the case)
to see if they are 3C905CX (notice the X at the end) ? The CX cards are
newly introduced by 3Com and have a small change in design: they need more
time to reset their Rx part. This is only added to the recent drivers.
If the Rx reset is not done properly, the card will not receive any
packet, so the described behaviour is to be expected.

Best regards,

Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868