Microsoft Releases Computational Cluster Technical Preview Too lkit

Bill Rankin billran at reciprocal.com
Wed Feb 14 08:10:28 PST 2001

> From: "Mattson, Timothy G" <timothy.g.mattson at intel.com>
>
> Please try not to be so negative.  I was involved with producing the
> "microsoft clustering solution", and I assure you, its much
> more than you
> suggested.
[snip]

Hey Tim,

Fight the good fight, man!  I know how it can be trying to make
progress and build a case for development in an area that your
company has traditionally not pursued.  IMHO, the more awareness
by the public of beowulf-style computing, the better.  A little
competition keeps everyone honest. :-)

And speaking of which, just for the sake of honesty and integrity,
please take a large stick, go find out who at MS wrote:

> from http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/hpc/indstand.asp
>
> "Until recently, most clustered computers ran UNIX or proprietary
> operating systems on proprietary hardware. Microsoft changed all
> that with Windows(r) 2000, the de facto industry-standard operating
> system. Now anyone with massive computing needs can create
> clusters using commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) PCs and a
> shrink-wrapped version of Windows 2000. "

and *whack* them across their head a few times on behalf of all the
people who have fought and struggled over the last 10-15 years to make
real distributed computing what it is today.

I know you probably take some ribbing from members of this group about
your employer, but realize that our opinions of MS have grown out of
repeatedly reading statement like the above.

Thank you,

-bill