IDE-SCSI RAID units

Dan Yocum yocum at linuxcare.com
Mon Feb 12 11:16:17 PST 2001

Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 12:08:41PM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > Several people asked who makes and where to find these beasts.  At
> > least:
> >
> >    http://www.zero-d.com/ide-scsi.htm
> >
> > which I believe are resold at
> >
> >    http://www.synetic.net/
>
> Another manufacturer is http://3ware.com/, but again you have to buy
> through a reseller. 3ware is very Linux friendly and provides a GPLed
> driver. It *looks* like a SCSI disk in software, but you can do RAID
> 0, 1, and 1+0. Performance approaches 100 MB/s. But the best part is
> that the expensive 8-disk unit is only $400 for the card.

3ware will support hardware RAID 5 as of February 15th.  It's a simple
BIOS flash update (to the card, not the system, of course).

Also, it should be noted that Adaptec makes a 4 port IDE RAID
controller:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=AAA-UDMA&cat=%2fTechnology%2fRAID%2fRAID+for+Entry-Level+Servers

Promise makes a 6 port IDE RAID controller: http://www.promise.com/

FWIW, I know that one company is delivering a number (at least 6) of
prebuilt 1.7TB (unformatted) linux boxes to Fermilab.  They're using the
8-port 3ware cards with 80GB drives, hot-swap disk trays, dual 850MHz
P-III's, 512MB RAM, a 3Com Acenic gig-e card, dual power supplies
(separate cords), for just under $20K USD.  Not bad, if you ask me.
Here's the contact details; though, they don't have the server specs
online quite yet:

URL:	http://www.integralcorp.com
Name:	Rick Munday
Email:	rmunday at integralcorp.com