Q: Any parallel DBs for the cluster computers ?

Greg Lindahl glindahl at hpti.com
Fri Feb 2 06:30:43 PST 2001

> Is there any information about Parallel Database using PVFS or GFS or
> itself filesystem or any other parallel filesystem ?

Parallel databases don't necessarily use parallel filesystems. That's
a detail which the database vendor generally hides from you.

Oracle, for example, has a parallel database which doesn't require a
shared filesystem; it only really requires shared data. Then they have
their own lock manager, which provides all they need. Unfortunately I
don't think this is available on Linux.

However, depending on your problem, you might be able to use N
separate databases and do the parallel part yourself. For example, you
would run all queries on all the databases and combine all of the
results. I've seen some non-Linux software which does this over any
SQL database, but I haven't seen such a system for Linux.

-- g