diskless nodes with scyld

Daniel Ridge newt at scyld.com
Thu Feb 1 11:26:59 PST 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 valentin at olagrande.net wrote:

> I am trying to set up a diskless cluster using the Scyld CD-ROM. Althought
> previous articles in the archive suggest that this is possible, I have found
> no instruction anywhere on how to do this.

We have an updated CD out now (see our website) that runs disklessly
by default (based on popular demand).

> >From an article in the December archives, I assumed that all I need to do
> is change the /etc/beowulf/fstab file. Mine currently has the following
> entries:
>
> /dev/ram3	/		ext2	fs_size=65536	0 0
> none		/proc		proc	defaults	0 0
> none		/dev/pts	devpts	gid=5,mode=620	0 0
> $MASTER:/home	/home		nfs	defaults	0 0

That looks right.

> This fails, and I have trouble interpreting the error log attached at the
> end of this message. Now, who can help me?

> 1. What are the instructions for booting a diskless node with Scyld?

Comment out the /home mount in your fstab. Your nodes are having NFS
problems that are keeping them from coming up. (the node NFS fs module is
failing to load for some reason).

> 2. Is it possible to boot a diskless node without a Scyld floppy or CD-ROM?
>    My nodes send out DHCP requests. Can I simply setup a dchp server to
>    hand out /var/beowulf/. Will dhcpd conflict with beoserv over ports?

Basically no problem. I'll whip up some instructions for people who want
to PXE boot their boxes. With the latest Scyld release, you basically do:
beoboot -2 -i to make phase-2 images with the kernel and initrd split out
so that you can use them with any boot strategy you choose.

Regards,
	Dan Ridge
	Scyld Computing Corporation