D-Link switch for b at h

Dan Philpott dan at systemsfirm.com
Thu Aug 30 12:40:08 PDT 2001

> From: Martin WHEELER [mailto:mwheeler at startext.co.uk]
>
> Before splashing out on an 8-port switch for a
> restricted-budget Beowulf-at-Home, has anyone any comments to
> make from direct experience on the long-term viability of
> D-link's DES-1008D (or even
> DES-1210G) switches?
> [Project is proof-of-concept and graphics rendering @ home.]

D-link products are normally quite reliable but often cut corners on
components.  After all, one switch is the same as another switch when
price is the determining factor for purchasing.  (D-link products being
consumer and small business focused cost is usually the deciding
factor.)  This can often slow down an otherwise well built switch.

Check ZDNet, CNet or NWFusion/ITWorld for information on the latest
switch comparisons.  Often a very small cost differential separates a
high quality product from a slow poke.

For my money the Netgear line are the best SoHo switches.  I have never
had a problem with the 3 or 4 of them on my home network and Beowulf
cluster.  But that is just my own opinion.

Dan