Turning off telnet and FTP on Scyld

Martin Siegert siegert at sfu.ca
Thu Aug 30 11:55:19 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:35:58AM -0500, german kogan wrote:

> On my master node I have two ethernet interfaces, eth0 and eth1. Eth0 is
> for the outside and eth1 is for the communication between master and slave
> nodes. For security reasons I want to turn off the telnet and FTP on the
> eth0. Does anybody know how to do this on Scyld?

I don't know about Scyld, but I doubt that this is Scyld specific.
On Linux boxes with tcp_wrappers installed this can be done by putting

ALL : ALL

into /etc/hosts.deny and then enter the services you want to allow in
/etc/hosts.allow, e.g.,

in.rshd : 192.168.1.
in.rlogind : 192.168.1.
in.ftpd : 192.168.1.
in.telnetd : 192.168.1.
portmap : 192.168.1.
sshd : ALL

assuming that eth1 is connected to the 192.168.1 network.
I don't know whether Scyld specific daemons (bproc, etc.) are tcp-wrapped
and would need an entry in /etc/hosts.allow as well. That should be easy to
figured out though.

I hope this helps.
Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert at sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6