SSE & compilers

Pedro Díaz Jiménez pdiaz88 at terra.es
Tue Aug 21 09:28:17 PDT 2001

The Intel Compiler does a pretty good job optimizing for the Pentium  family
(It can also compile/optimize for the Itanium, but don't have a such a beast
to test it). Right now is in beta stage and a trial-ware version can be
downloaded from Intel's webpage (available until September)

An unfinished (finished probably this october - not too much spare time here
:-) review of the C/C++ compiler can be found here
http://planetcluster.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=1

And in the comments there is a link to another review of both the Fortran and
C/C++ compiler from Computational Battery

- From the tests I've made so far (little ones: mandelbrot, sorting, (alleged)
RC4 cipher, factorials and a couple of real world apps: lame and bzip2) speed
achievement is important in C code. You can instruct the compiler to generate
MMX & SSE code, while deciding if you want to retain compatibility for non
MMX/SSE capable chips. All those tests do not include an interesting feature
of the compiler: profile based optimization (they will, someday)

Another tests not included yet in the review are my implementation of the IBM
Mars (AES finalist) cipher (25 Mbps gcc optimized - 40 Mbps icc optimized,
all in ECB mode) and testing with the PovRay raytracer (not significant
improvements)

The compiler lacks of some gnu gcc extensions, making dificult/impossible to
test some of the programs I would wanted (GnuPG and MySQL). Due to this it is
also imposible to compile the Linux Kernel right now (Intel says it will fix
this in the final release)

Take a look at
http://www.planetcluster.org/storage/icc_review/ where you will find the
results of the bechnmarks and an interesting Intel paper about the
optimization features in their compiler

Cheers
Pedro

BTW:
Guys, there is an interesting poll at Planet Cluster (homepage). I'll
appreciate your votes

For last, but no least, Rajkumar Buyya (IEEE TFCC) and I are preparing a
cluster FAQ. It is unfinished, and can be found here:
http://planetcluster.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=2&categories=About+clusters+in+general
(yeah, I should make a link or something :-)

The FAQ is about clusters in general, not specific to Beowulf clusters.We
will appreciate your comments and suggestions

On Tuesday 21 August 2001 13:19, Dan Kirkpatrick wrote:
> 1. What do you know about SSE ? Apparently the p III and P 4 have extra
> hardware for fp work which is ignored by current compilers but can buy big
> factors in speed...
> we can code in assembler for it pretty easily if the PIII prcocessors have
> it.  Comments?
>
> 2. Apparently there are several optimizing compilers out there (like
> portland) which do better than gcc.  Any suggestions?  Information on
> costs?
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

> Dan Kirkpatrick                   dkirk at physics.syr.edu
> Computer Systems Manager
> Department of Physics
> Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
> http://www.physics.syr.edu/help/    Fax:(315) 443-9103

- --

/*
 * Pedro Diaz Jimenez: pdiaz88 at terra.es, pdiaz at acm.asoc.fi.upm.es
 *
 * GPG KeyID: E118C651
 * Fingerprint: 1FD9 163B 649C DDDC 422D  5E82 9EEE 777D E118 C65
 *
 * http://planetcluster.org
 * Clustering & H.P.C. news and documentation
 *
 * "La sabiduria me persigue, pero yo soy mas rapido"
 */