Channel Bonding

Rocky McGaugh rmcgaugh at atipa.com
Wed Aug 15 11:37:16 PDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Michael Sowka wrote:

> Hello,
> I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with some
> question I have about channel bonding. Linux kernel side seems to be
> easy enough with the CONFIG_BONDING=Y and other "various" /etc stuff...
> but what about the switches?! In the kernel Configuration Documentation
> it mentions something like a Cisco 5500 switch... I looked it up and it
> seems that the 5000 series switches are the "standard" for what Cisco
> calls Etherchannel (Channel bonding = Etherchannel). Now I sorta' assume
> that's an expensive piece of equipment, and the goal of our little
> project here is to build a very VERY "Class I" system (read: cheap, VERY
> off the shelf equipment)... won't a simple 300$ 8-port switch do???
> Thanks for any comment and pointers,
> Mike

Actually, 2 of the 8-port switches will work for 8 nodes, or 2 four
ports for 4 machines. Main consideration is that both nics will present
the same MAC address to the switch, and you cant have 2 nics with the same
MAC address on the same wire without special support. If you put all of
eth0 on one switch, and all of eth1's on the other, then this will work.

--
Rocky McGaugh
Atipa Technologies
rocky at atipatechnologies.com
rmcgaugh at atipa.com
1-800-360-4346 x3110
http://1087800222/
perl -e 'print unpack(u, ".=W=W+F%T:7!A+F-O;0H`");'