performance tuning differences?

Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk at physics.syr.edu
Tue Aug 14 09:20:57 PDT 2001

All valid comments in reply to my question... and I would have to be more
specific with more tests, but I cannot comment on the code since my
collegues are the ones designing and running the code... I just setup and
administer the hardware and OS.  But the benchmarking they've been running
is with the same model and code.
Not parallel or threaded, just single job per processor.  The floating
point intensive jobs are the ones with the most differences.

>Newer kernel, better performance for most problems.

What I found odd was the same exact floating point intensive code compiled
and run on the same exact hardware performed 20% WORSE under redhat linux
7.1 (20% better using RH 6.2), both straight installs out of the box.

What I meant to ask, given the same code, and just looking at system OS
configuration, is there anything to watch for?  do you find stripping down
daemons improve performance significantly, libraries/compilers to
avoid/suggest?  OS versions/configurations that have deep performance
differences?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Kirkpatrick                   dkirk at physics.syr.edu