Sun Sparc performance

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 4 13:18:17 PDT 2001

Sun boxes are slow. There are several problems with
them:

1. OS - Solaris is slow. Linux is fast, esp the file
system, but async update is much more dangerous to the
data.

2. CPU - USparc has a lower SPEC score than PIII which
has a lower SPEC score than K7.

3. Expensive - no need to say too much here :-)

Nevertheless, there are some good features of those
boxes:

1. I/O is more balanced - you can't expect Intel
Architecure to beat them in terms of I/O speed.

2. Solaris scales better - it is slower for the
low-end case but it scales better when there are more
(64) CPUs in one box.

3. More add-on products - Sun has opensourced serveral
products which helps the techical computing world. One
of them is Sun HPC for parallel computing, the other
one is SGE for batch-queuing distributed jobs. There
are several more products, like the high-performance
libaraies, parallel debugger, etc.

HPC: http://www.sun.com/software/hpc/
SGE: http://gridengine.sunsource.net/

-Ron

P.S. SGE is also available for Linux and other OSes.